Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

How about two identical aquaria - each filled to the rim.
One has an empty box glued to its bottom.

My claim is that the box will cause that piece of glass to flex less.

Maybe it will, maybe t won't.
My expectation is that the 'boxed' bottom will flex less.
The 'unboxed' bottom could be made to closely match the 'boxed' bottom if one would push up on its center with a force equal to the 'weight of water that the box is displacing' in the other aquarium.