Re: [Phys-l] Research Course

I teach at the Loudoun County Public Schools Academy of Science. All of our juniors and seniors conduct research projects. Most of the research is done at school, but we do have a few students, especially those working on theoretical physics projects and math modeling projects, who work with external mentors. The external mentors work at universities or government research centers, such as NIST and NASA Goddard. We have 60 to 65 students in each grade. During their sophomore year, students take an Introduction to Research course, at the end of which, each student chooses a junior research project. Most students continue researching the same basic topic in their senior year, but a few students switch to a significantly different topic.

Daniel Crowe
Loudoun County Public Schools
Academy of Science
dan.crowe@lcps.org

Ron Curtin <Ron.Curtin@charlottecountryday.org> 10/29/2010 8:47 AM >>>

Our school is considering starting up a new course, tentatively titled "Advanced Science Research", for talented 11th and 12th grade science students. The general idea is that we would match students up with area university and industrial researchers to give the students an opportunity to do real-life research during their high school years. We imagine that most of the actual research would happen off of our campus and probably during the summer. We are trying to find some other schools who have had some experience with a similar program. I do know that St. John's in Houston has had a course for students for several years. Is anyone out there doing it or do you know of anyone who might have tried it? Thanks, Ron