Re: [Phys-l] How did Newton estimate the Gravitational constant?

It's actually not so hard to _demonstrate_ Fg attraction with a crude torsion balance built of junk using a VHS tape suspension; the _real_ difficulty is getting good measurements. I had a student replicate
http://physicsed.buffalostate.edu/pubs/PHY690/Hughes2009Cavendish/
a balance apparatus described at
http://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/foobar/
and videotape quite successfully overcame the endless spinning relaxation you must endure with twine or monofilament.

The student was quite bemused with standing still for about 5min near the apparatus; he could deflect the balance arm with himself.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 1-716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>
Physics Graduate Coordinator ON SABBATICAL Fall 2010 / Spring 2011

Fall 2010 Visiting Scholar
Helsingin yliopisto 224 Physicum, Kumpula Campus
Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2a FI-00560 Helsinki