Re: [Phys-l] Definition of upthrust or buoyancy

Starting from the buoyant object held down by a string:

1) If you replace the string by a thin hollow empty tube (such
as a soda straw) it will be in compression in the X and Y
directions even while it is in tension in the Z direction.
Indeed, under a wide range of conditions, it could get
crushed in the radial direction even while it is under
tension in the Z direction.

Remark: As the situations get more intricate, we lose the
ability to describe the whole situation using simple one-word
expressions such as "tension" and "compression".

2) This directionality is completely nontrivial, as we can
see in the case of a buoyant object held down by _putty_.
I suspect this is getting rather close to the intent of the
original question.

In the case where the putty extends over a large area and
the buoyancy is not very large, the putty will be in
compression in the Z direction, with perhaps thousands of
pounds of compressive force.

However ..... This compression in the Z direction is for
practical purposes nullified by the compression in the X
and Y directions, in the following sense: The putty, by
definition, is free to creep. If it creeps inward by 1%
in the X and Y directions and outward by 2% in the Z
direction, there is no change in volume of the putty, and
therefore no "P dV" work. Meanwhile, there is a negative
amount of "F dh" work, where F is the buoyant force and
h is the height of the buoyant object. So this creep is
energetically favored. It is favored even though it moves
against the multi-thousand-pound compressive force!

3) This gets even more relevant if we replace the putty
with plain water. If you push down on the buoyant object
you can (maybe!) push the water out from between the
object and the solid thing beneath it. This (theoretically)
requires only a modest force to overcome the net buoyancy.
However, if you stop pushing, the water will come back in
and the object will float away. It will float away even
though there was a multi-thousand-pound solid/solid contact
force pushing the object against the other thing while the
two were in contact.

This solid/solid contact force is entirely real, but you may
not be able to count on it, because of the strong tendency
of the water to weasel its way into cracks. You are going
to need some good glue (not putty) or a good O-ring seal
or something like that, if you want to keep the water out.