[Phys-l] Fw: Re: Definition of upthrust or buoyancy

Interesting question. I didn't see that one coming.

Dimensional analysis suffices: A = F / P
where A = area of glue
F = net buoyant force of object
P = pressure
Are we assuming that the glue area is small? The buoyant force depends on the area exposed to the water, yes? So, F is a function of A.

jg

If you want more detail, consider an object tied by a string to
a piston, and ask for the relationship between pressure, piston
area, and tension in the string.