Re: [Phys-l] Coalesing drops

Bob!

(delayed by trip to birthday dinner a day away, not mine.)

Yes! You're correct. I forgot about the buoyant force, which is negligible in this case, and the g force is ~ to the cube of the radius, while the drag is only prop. to the square.***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes'_law

doesn't apply.

hyperphysics has done the work for me:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/airfri2.html#c5

for 2 mm and 5 mm drops their terminal speeds are v. ~ 6.4 and 10.1 m/s.

I cheated and found in Eisberg and Lerner (I've seen it elsewhere also.) the formula for the position (time) for v^2 drag.

The formulae, as I graphed for two and 5 mm D drops, is on my site.

http://www.cleyet.org/images/Drops%20at%20the%20Exploratorium/

Here's the generic:

X = (1/gamma) (Ln[exp(sqrt(gamma*g)*t )+ exp(sqrt(gamma*g)*t)]/2)

gamma = drag factor / m = 0.5* density (air) * cross section(Pi * R^2) * coefficient (sphere ~0.5) / density * [(4/3) Pi * R^3]

this reduces to ~ 2.25E-4 / r

I pray no error. The equations for 2 mm and 5 mm diameter are part of the titles of the graphs. They were generated by the function feature in Kaleidograph. I extracted the data it created and subtracted the positions. As one can see if dropped ~ 10 cm apart after v.~ 600 ms the five mm one will catch up. This is after falling about five feet.

*** what happens when ones mind's eye model is incomplete.

bc no experience w/ dropping, so doesn't know if practical.