Re: [Phys-l] Absolute four-momentum of massless particles

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Yes, but that approach simply substitutes the validity of Maxwell's
Equations as the second postulate!"

On 10/01/2010 12:16 PM, Spagna Jr., George replied:

I suggest that they are included under "all laws of physics" in the first postulate!

(I love these conversations! We can get deeper insights into both
the physics itself and physics pedagogy by learning from the group's
collective wisdom.)

I vote with Bob.

In my book, questioning the mass of the photon is nothing more or
less than questioning Maxwell's equations.

As I wrote previously, if we needed to reclassify the photon into
the category of massive particles, implementing the reclassification
would not be hard. We know what the equations would look like.

In outline: The equation for an electromagnetic wave in a waveguide
is indistinguishable from the "massive scalar Klein-Gordon equation".
The k-vector in the transverse direction plays the role of the mass;
the waveguide cutoff frequency plays the role of the "mass gap" in
the dispersion relation for the massive particle.

So basically all you need to do is imagine an Nth dimension and
give every EM wave a little bit of k-vector in that direction.

(The same trick works in reverse for massive particles.)

Remember Feynman's dictum: The same equations have the same solutions.

There are other ways of obtaining a mass gap. For example, propagation
on a _lattice_ will have gaps. The high-momentum behavior is not what
you would expect for an ordinary massive particle, but the low-momentum
behavior is just what you would expect, good to second order.