Re: [Phys-l] Alpha decay intensity against distance

Duh .. Now why would I assume the counts were SI instead of CPM. I would necessary verify, as I think the value I calc'd multiplied by 60 is the dead time, i.e. ~ 240 microsec. However, and this is what I learned from Ludwik, that dead time only applies to counting rates within the order of 10k CPM. The dead time varies w/ the rate. It is very long a very low rates < 100 CPM and shorter than 200 microsec. at rates above 10k CPM. Ludwik (this must be before Dr. Edmiston's time) was using counts to illustrate statistics -- He didn't know which, I replied Poisson and Denker confirmed and added. I don't remember why, and don't want to bother being an archivalist, I learned the dead time was millisecs from data LK sent me. OTOH why would I need the data, if only to verify L's calc., if he was using two source trials. Anywise, I was amazed and duplicated his measurement. Sho nuff very long. The clue was he had VERY weak sources. So I did a study w/ several (five?) various diameter tubes and several counting rates. I found, as expected, the DT was a + function of the diameter and an inverse of the rate. I meant to do the trials again w/ more care, find the functions by regression, and publish, well this explains why I've had no career**.

My last attempt was to do a two source determination of DT with an extremely high background, e.g. 10k CPM w/ the sources somewhat less active. Because in earlier measurements I had used sources of approximately background rates, I had to find the formula w/o the usual zero background assumption. IT that formula would apply.

** Not the only original work I've let languish.

bc thinks why the DT ~ 1/rate is obvious.