Re: [Phys-l] Another try: Re: failure notice was Re: Test question

At 17:27 -0400 08/16/2009, chuck britton wrote:

There was nothing 'urban' about Upper East Tennessee back then (or now) but the lower case rch (url above) gets to the nitty gritty without distracting us with the UK (mis)interpretation.

(not a California term??)

uh, Hugh, was it in your early CA experience or a Navy thing for you?)

Don't know if it began in CA, but I was certainly familiar with it in the early 50s there, and when I got into the Navy it was everywhere, so I can't say who had it first.

It is true, however, that many of our common expressions have nautical origins. many going back tot he British Navy. Even the slang term for the British, "Limeys" comes from the habit the British had (after centuries of ignoring the problem) of feeding their sailors limes to ward off scurvy.

I doubt very much, however, that rch is from the British navy. I suspect that if it were, it would be rqh.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org