[Phys-l] Scientifically-based Education Is Not an Oxymoron

If you reply to this long (12 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

ABSTRACT: My post "Is Scientifically-based Education an Oxymoron? Reply to Eubanks" of 14 July referenced David Berliner's essay "Educational Research: The Hardest Science of All," written in response to "Scientific Research in Education" [Shavelson et al. (2002)]. Here I point to the response to Berliner by Feuer, Towne, & Shavelson who wrote: "Our point is not that the physical, life, and social sciences are equally hard or easy, but that GOOD SCIENCE, WHETHER IN PHYSICS OR ECONOMICS OR EDUCATION, THRIVES ON A COMBINATION OF GENERIC NORMS THAT APPLY TO ALL FIELDS and on manifestations of those norms that are specific to each field." [My CAPS.] As indicted in my post "Re: Scientific Method" of 15-16 July, those norms are well expressed by Helen Quinn (2009) in her Physics Today essay "What is science," and in no way support Gerald Bracey's contention that "Scientifically-based Education Is an Oxymoron." Some other valuable online references to scientific methods, consistent with Quinn, are: Berkeley (2009), Denker (2003), Hake (2002), and Woolf (2004).

My recent post "Is Scientifically-based Education an Oxymoron? Reply to Eubanks" [Hake (2009c)], contained a quote from David Berliner (2002):

". . .the important distinction. . .[between, e.g., education and physics]. . . is really not between the hard and the soft sciences. Rather, it is between the hard and the easy sciences."
In response to Berliner (2002), Feuer, Towne, & Shavelson (2002b) wrote "Our point is not that the physical, life, and social sciences are equally hard or easy, but that GOOD SCIENCE, WHETHER IN PHYSICS OR ECONOMICS OR EDUCATION, THRIVES ON A COMBINATION OF GENERIC NORMS THAT APPLY TO ALL FIELDS and on manifestations of those norms that are specific to each field." [My CAPS.]

As indicated in "Re: Scientific Method" [Hake (2009d)]. I think the norms are well expressed by Helen Quinn (2009) in her Physics Today essay "What is science," and in no way support Gerald Bracey's (2009) contention that "Scientifically-based Education Is an Oxymoron."

Some other valuable online references to scientific methods, consistent with Quinn are: Berkeley (2009), Denker (2003), Hake (2002), and Woolf (2004).

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>

"Education research deals with an extremely complex system. At present, neither the educational phenomenology growing out of observations of student behavior nor the cognitive science growing out of observations of individual responses in highly controlled (and sometimes contrived) experiments has led to a single consistent theoretical framework. Indeed, it is sometimes hard to know what to infer from some particular detailed experimental results. Yet those of us in physics know well that advancement in science is a continual dance between the partners of theory and experiment, first one leading, then the other. It is not sufficient to collect data into a 'wizard's book' of everything that happens. That's not science. Neither is it science to spout high-blown theories untainted by 'reality checks.' SCIENCE MUST BUILD A CLEAR AND COHERENT PICTURE OF WHAT IS HAPPENING AT THE SAME TIME AS IT CONTINUALLY CONFIRMS AND CALIBRATES THAT PICTURE AGAINST THE REAL WORLD." [My CAPS.]
Joe Redish (2003, p. 15)

REFERENCES [Tiny URL's courtesy <http://tinyurl.com/create.php>.]
Berkeley. 2009. "Understanding Science: how science really works," "University of California Museum of Paleontology; online at <http://undsci.berkeley.edu/>. I thank Pati Sievert of the Physoc list and Karen Sirum of the POD list, for bringing this reference to my attention.

Berliner, D. 2002. "Educational Research: The Hardest Science of All," Educational Researcher 31(8): 18-20; online at <http://www.aera.net/publications/?id=438>.

Bracey, G. 2009. "Education Hell: Rhetoric vs. Reality." Educational Research Service, publisher's information at
<http://www.ers.org/CATALOG/description.phtml?II=WS-0760>: "Are America's schools broken? 'Education Hell: Rhetoric vs. Reality' seeks to address misconceptions about America's schools by taking on the credo 'what can be measured matters.' To the contrary, Dr. Bracey makes a persuasive case that much of what matters cannot be assessed on a multiple choice test.. . .[But at least *some* of what matters, e.g., conceptual understanding of the subject, CAN be measured by a multiple choice test such as the Force Concept Inventory (developed through arduous qualitative and quantitative research by disciplinary experts) as argued in Hake (2009a,b,c)]. . . . The challenge for educators is to deal effectively with an incomplete accountability system - while creating a broader understanding of successful schools and teachers. School leaders must work to define, maintain, and increase essential skills that may not be measured in today's accountability plans." Amazon.com information at <http://tinyurl.com/ngulhm>.

Denker, J.S. 2003. "Scientific Methods,"online at <http://www.av8n.com/physics/scientific-methods.htm>.

Feuer, M.J., L. Towne, & R.J. Shavelson. 2002a. "Scientific Culture and Educational Research," Educational Researcher 31(8): 4-14; online at <http://www.aera.net/publications/?id=438>.

Feuer, M.J., L. Towne, & R.J. Shavelson. 2002b. "Reply to Commentators on 'Scientific Culture and Educational Research,' " . . . .[Feuer et al. (2002a)]. . . Educational Researcher 31(8): 28-29; online at <http://www.aera.net/publications/?id=438>.

Hake, R.R. 2002. "Re: Scientific Methods," online on the OPEN Phys-L archives at <https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/2002/09_2002/msg00029.html>. Post of 1 Sep 2002 20:05:27-0700 to Phys-L and PhysLrnR. John Denker's discussion of the scientific method, mentioned in this post is now at Denker (2003).

Hake, R.R. 2009a. "Is Scientifically-based Education an Oxymoron?" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://tinyurl.com/n9cyjy>. Post of 7 Jul 2009 17:03:51-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract was also (a) transmitted to various discussion lists, and (b) placed online at <http://hakesedstuff.blogspot.com/2009/07/is-scientifically-based-education.html> with a provision for comments.

Hake, R.R. 2009b. "Is Scientifically-based Education an Oxymoron? Reply To Bracey," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://tinyurl.com/kmrse2>. Post of 11 Jul 2009 16:04:43-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract only was also transmitted to various discussion lists.

Hake, R.R. 2009c. "Is Scientifically-based Education an Oxymoron? Reply to Eubanks," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://tinyurl.com/mjb3oq>. Post of 14 Jul 2009 16:22:55-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract only was (a) placed online at <http://hakesedstuff.blogspot.com/2009/07/is-scientifically-based-education_14.html>
with a provision for comments; (b) transmitted to various discussion lists, mercifully omitting physics discussion lists except for PhysLrnR.

Hake, R.R. 2009d. "Re: Scientific Method," online on the OPEN! Phys-L archives at <https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/2009/7_2009/msg00177.html>. Post of 15 & 16 Jul 2009 to various discussion lists.

Redish, E.F. 1999. "Millikan lecture 1998: building a science of teaching physics," Am. J. Phys. 67(7): 562-573; online at <http://www.physics.umd.edu/rgroups/ripe/perg/cpt.html>.

Redish, E.F. 2003 "Teaching Physics With the Physics Suite" (TPWPS), John Wiley, TPWPS is online at <http://www2.physics.umd.edu/~redish/Book/>.

Shavelson, R.J. & L. Towne, eds., 2002. "Scientific Research in Education," National Academy Press; online at <http://www.nap.edu/catalog/10236.html>. Among members of the Academy's "Committee on Scientific Principles for Education Research" that authored the book were (aside from Shavelson): Robert Boruch, Jere Confrey, Robert DeHaan, Margaret Eisenhart, Eugene Garcia, Norman Hackerman, Eric Hanushek, Ellen Condliffe Lagemann, Dennis Phillips, and Carol Weiss.

Woolf, L. 2004. "How do scientists really do science?" Presentation to the San Diego Unified School District Science Teachers, 4 October; online at <http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/pdfs/how-do-science-10-10-04.pdf> (3.3MB).