Re: [Phys-l] Scientific Method

If you reply to this long (11 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

ABSTRACT Mike Horton wrote: "I am helping to rewrite the manual for our county science fair. The section on scientific method is the typical 7 steps of trying to 'prove or disprove' your hypothesis. . . . Does anybody have or know of a good treatment of good scientific experimentation that I can paraphrase?" I think Helen Quinn's (2009) Physics Today essay "What is science?" is one of the best explanations of science that I've seen. Especially relevant to Horton's concern is Quinn's statement: "Theories and models develop over time. Based on data, they undergo a long-term process of testing and refinement before becoming accepted scientific explanations or tools in a given domain. Contrast that with the usual description of the scientific method, which reduces continuous and iterative theory building to the idea that one makes and tests hypotheses."