Re: [Phys-l] Energy Transfer with hammers

I think Jack is alluding to the degree of inelasticity. I'd expect a smaller portion of the KE is delivered to the nail in harder wood. OTOH, maybe not, as the only time a hammer "bounces" is when striking steel (anval); for example on hot steel (forging) the hammer doesn't bounce (much?).

Recoil is unpleasant. Worse is torque ("bitter spot")

bc doesn't remember much from his stint as a construction apprentice (1973)