Re: [Phys-l] glass

Thanks. The label is hard and baked on the glass -- not a paper label like
from a wine bottle. Sandpaper works but scratches the glass.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
This may be only tangentially-related:

The only safe way ("safe", mind you) I know of removing sticky labels
from glass is to keep around a solution of bacterial-laden water, which
eventually (~ 2 days) eats away the labels. I keep a gallon-size
container of it simmering away in my garage. It's started by throwing
several labeled bottles in the water, and letting them sit for a couple
of weeks. The smell when it's "live" is mildly sulfurous, and I wouldn't
serve the water to pets or people, but it's not egregiously offensive,
and I don't think it's dangerous (though I'm not sure of this).

Once the solution is "primed", I keep it going by putting in a little
paper (post-it note sized) once a week. It does wonders on paper and
plastic labels, so long as the stickum isn't too silicone-based. It takes
only a day to really release the labels to the point where a mild soap
solution will take everything off easily.

3M also sells some very good tar remover which takes labels right off.

I think that without knowing a bit more about what the emblem is, I
won't be able to help. Is it hard? Baked-on?

Down with categorical imperative!
flutzpah@yahoo.com