Re: [Phys-l] Teaching Special Relativity

On 07/04/2009 05:35 AM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

The driving essence of the principle of (special) relativity is that
physics is the same in all (inertial) reference frames.

That is consistent with -- and indeed deeply intertwined with --
the assertion I've been making, namely that special relativity
is the geometry and trigonometry of spacetime.

By way of background, consider ordinary high-school plane
geometry. For this to make sense, we must require rotational
invariance. Geometry must recognize a triangle and a rotated
version of that triangle as being the same.

So it is with spacetime. We cannot even talk about its geometry
unless we require invariance with respect to rotations in the XT
plane i.e. boosts i.e. changes in velocity.

This means
that measured quantities are related by the same quantitative
equations. This is achieved by (Lorentz) transforming the
measurables in the invariant equations.

That's true, but it requires some sophistication to understand
what we mean by "invariant equations". Not all correct equations
are invariant. Suppose we have an equation written in terms of
vectors, in such a way that it is manifestly invariant with respect
to rotations. So far so good. If we decompose that equation in
terms of components, relative to some particular basis, the new
version will be correct in that basis but the component-values
will not be invariant. The vector equation is an apt model of
the underlying physics, while the component equations are not so
apt.

This is the same relativity which describes the E and B components of
an electromagnetic field when viewed in different frames. There is
no universal "proper" frame in which E and B are measured as their
"real" values. (Is it that we want to resurrect the "aether frame"?)

See previous discussion of components. Expressing E and B as
vectors is not the most apt model of the electromagnetic field.
If you want the field to be manifestly invariant with respect
to boosts, you should represent it as a _bivector_ (F). In a
particular frame you can decompose F into an E-like component
and a B-like component, but the component values (E and B) are
strongly frame-dependent.

The measurable quantities appearing in the physics equation are the
physicists "reality";

If "measurable" means "directly measurable", then I must disagree.
Appearances can be deceiving, and conversely reality may be only
indirectly measurable. Consider the folks in Plato's cave. They
can directly measure the shadows, but they cannot directly measure
the real objects. I have to go with Plato on this one; the objects,
not the measurable shadows, are the physicist's "reality".

As the icon representing this idea, I use the image of saturn
http://www.av8n.com/physics/img48/saturn.jpg

Before the days of interplanetary spacecraft, every observation of
saturn's rings resulted in an elliptical image. Any direct measurement
of the image confirms that the image is an ellipse, with a quite
significant eccentricity. Meanwhile the "physicist's reality" is
that the rings are in reality circular (to an exceedingly good
approximation). The apparent ellipticity is well explained by the
projective geometry of the situation.

The analogy to special relativity is direct and profound: When folks
think they are measuring a Fitzgerald-Lorentz contracted ruler, or a
dilated clock, or a velocity-dependent mass, they are not measuring
physical reality; they are only measuring a shadow projected onto
some particular reference frame.