Re: [Phys-l] Phys-l Digest, Vol 54, Issue 3

For what it's worth the Matter and Interactions text does introduce momentum with it's relativistically correct definition:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rwchabay/mi/

but then use p=mv when v<<c. My students didn't seem to have a problem with it. Of course these guys also avoid F=ma, but rather use:

dp = F*dt

and focus on momentum change, rather than acceleration. It worked out pretty well for my class! They don't get as much 'kinematics' time as they might in a more traditional treatment, but they had a good grasp of the relationship between force and momentum change.

-steve