Re: [Phys-l] velocity-dependent mass (or not)

On 06/28/2009 05:25 PM, I wrote:

.... any class time spent on
the spacetime approach to relativity reinforces and deepens
the students' understanding of the geometry and trigonometry
of ordinary 3-space, their understanding of vectors, et cetera.
This is important, since many of them will not have much direct
use for relativity in their future lives. Therefore the "street
value" of the coursework comes down to gee-whiz value and side
effects. The gee-whiz value of spacetime (elegant) is *more*
than the value of a bucket of paradoxes (ugly) ... and the side
effects (geometry, trigonometry, and vectors) are incomparably
more valuable.

That's all true, but I left off the other half of the argument,
the half that applies if/when some of your students are going to
grow up to be physics majors:

The issue here is unlearning. Unlearning is always hard and
unpleasant for the student and for the teacher. I guarantee you
that if you teach the "contraction / dilation / velocity dependent
mass" approach to special relativity, your students will have to
unlearn every bit of that when they start their first course in
_general_ relativity. To say the same thing the other way, general
relativity is all about spacetime, so there is a big advantage to
taking the spacetime approach to special relativity, starting from
Day One.

So, please please please, as a favor to your students, and to the
teachers who will come after you, please teach special relativity
using the modern (post 1908) spacetime approach.

In my experience, virtually all of the people who argue that moving
clocks can't be trusted and moving rulers can't be trusted and moving
particles have a velocity-dependent mass (or three different velocity-
dependent masses) are people who have never cracked open a copy of
MTW or Weinberg or any other general relativity book.

Special relativity is not weird or paradoxical. It is just the
geometry and trigonometry of spacetime.

The idea that time is the fourth dimension has been around since
1908, i.e. for 101 of the 104 years that relativity has existed.
It is so ingrained in our culture that it is taken for granted in
TV shows, even non-science-oriented shows like /Buffy/. Why is
it not taken seriously in physics class?