Re: [Phys-l] "Nothing in physics makes sense except in the light of ..."

I guess not.

However, if we take a completely unrestricted view of general relativity, the notion of conservation of energy is problematic. For starters, if the universe has the topology of a torus (such as a donut, or an apple with a wormhole in it), the notion of “energy inside a boundary” is ill-defined, because the fundamental notion of “inside” is ill-defined for any contour that winds through the hole or around the hole, i.e. is not topologically reducible to a point.

http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo-laws.htm#bib-byers

bc