Re: [Phys-l] Microwave oven experiment

Brian Whatcott wrote:

Craft, Peter wrote:

Several staff at our school have just conducted an experiment to measure the velocity of
microwaves using a domestic microwave oven. They followed the well known method of
placing chocolate in a tray and running the microwave until spots appear in the chocolate
where the antinodes occur in the standing waves. These should occur at 1/2 lambda or
around 6-6.5 cm to give the "desired" velocity. In both cases the hot spots
were well defined at 11.5cm or 1 complete wavelength. The microwave oven states that it
operates with a frequency of 2450 Hz.

Could anyone advise us if we are making an error or explain why we are not
getting the expected results.

Thanks

Peter Craft

I suggest that identifying microwave hot spots as antinodes may be the issue.
If you place a loudspeaker in a room with hard walls, floor and ceiling, there will
be intensity peaks at particular spots. It would be unwise to identify these
locations only with the sound wavelengths in use. Details of room structurewould reposition these hot spots, after all.

Brian W

Hmm…on reconsideration, it appears that my first response exemplifies an answer of the type sometimes attributed to either management or engineers (your preference) – as being true but unhelpful – so I’ll try again.
People who design microwaves set out to even out the microwave exposure throughout the volume. They use two methods:

1) A microwave stirrer – which consists of a metallic paddle rotating in the waveguide.
2) a rotary plinth.

If you can disable the mode-stirrer by disconnecting the geared motor in the oven roof, and turn off the plinth, you will have a better opportunity to observe intensity peaks.

Brian W