Re: [Phys-l] A convolution (via digital simulation) to compare the results.

The convolution method was said to useful to solve problems similar to one shown below. Referring to this problem, John D. wrote: "It's trivial. Just code the convolution from the definition and run the program." I do not know how to do this.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = == = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
PROBLEM TO SOLVE:

1) Suppose the source of light is a flat square (each side is 10 cm) in the z=0 plane. That square is subdivided into 20 strips of columns and 20 strips of rows, forming 400 tiny cells. Each cell can be represented by a point-like source of light (a pixel) situated in its center. Each "pixel" emits equal amount of light (100 units) isotropically.

2) Suppose a sheet of black paper, located in the plane z=10 cm, absorbs light everywhere, except in three circular holes (apertures). The radius of each circle is 1 cm.
Centers of circles are located at (x=0, y=0), at (x=5 cm, y=5 cm), and at (x=5 cm, y=-5 cm)

3) Suppose the resulting light spot is observed on a screen situated in the plane z=30 cm.

4) What is the distribution of light on the screen?
More specifically, suppose the screen is subdivided into a grid of adjacent rectangular cells, each of 1cm by 1 cm. Centers of these cells are identified by coordinates, such as (x=0 cm, y=0 cm), (x=0 cm, y=1 cm), (x=0 cm, y=2 cm), (x=1 cm, y=1 cm), etc. How much light arrives to a cell whose coordinates are specified. For example,

a) how many units of light arrive to a cell whose center is at (x=7 cm, y=10 cm)?
b) how many units of light arrive to a cell whose center is at (x=-7 cm, y=10 cm)?

5) In an earlier message John D. wrote:
". . . Also: As a starting place, and for many serious real-world applications, the convolution is a sum not an integral. You can with a small amount of cleverness do the sums using a spreadsheet; here's an example that you can play with:

http://www.av8n.com/physics/convolution-intro.xls

Feel free to change the kernel (in the light green area) and the main input (in the light blue area)." I opened this file but it did not help me. Answering (a) and (b) is not at all trivial to me.

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher and an amateur journalist. Updated links to publications and reviews are at:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/ http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/my_opeds.html http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/revcom.html

Also an ESSAY ON ECONOMICS at: http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/economy/essay9.html