Re: [Phys-l] Climate Denial Crock of the Week- "It's cold.Sothere's no Climate Change"

OK, Far upstate near Watertown and the Canadian border. The term upstate
would seem to be variable according to how far upstate. They had at least a
week of 30 below and would sometimes get down to 40 below, with an average
of 14 ft of snow. This was more than Buffalo. They had sled dog races in
the 50s, but cancelled them later for lack of snow. Admittedly the snow was
low compared to the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Yes, in the Hudson river valley, Daniel Pinkwater territory, it certainly
gets up to the 90s, and I have lived there. Of course my memory could be
faulty. In far upstate most of my pictures show either bare trees or snow,
and very few showed greenery. The place had 2 seasons, winter and August,
but we even had snow in August one summer. The area around us was actually
dominated by the lake effect from Ontario. But in the Tug Hill Plateau, the
temperatures got even lower in the winter.

Signs of global warming are evident in that climate. As I recall most
climate predictions show greater effects at the poles than at the equator.

However in compensation we could have glorious Northern lights displays,
sometimes straight overhead. We had one in August in colors, with a firefly
display in the field below.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

John... Where in "upstate NY"?

Just so all the anecdotal evidence is in hand <g>, I was playing tennis
tournaments in the 60's in Albany, Schenectady, Rochester, Utica, and
Buffalo, and let me assure you, it got WELL above 72, often into the 90's,
and at least once above 100. Perhaps you're much older than me, or grew
up
near the Canada border?