Re: [Phys-l] balloon floating in air in car

On 04/22/2009 02:28 PM, Quist, Oren wrote:
I would venture that the tau depends upon the speed of sound in the
air in the car.

Indeed it does. That is a good place to start.

As the next step, to convert the speed of sound (c) to a time (tau),
we need a distance. A physically-relevant distance. Options
include:
-- Multiply c by the mean-free-path of the air molecules?
-- Multiply c by the diameter of the balloon?
-- Multiply c by the size of the car interior?
-- Bring in some other physics?