Re: [Phys-l] ball floating in elevator

A more "physical" apprehension is to picture the ball being heavier so it sinks in the water, however, this displaces water, but the water is equally heavier balancing the balls heaviness. So no displaced water, i.e. no change.

bc

This experiment suggest that one should build a drop cylinder attached to the side of a building or in a stair well. The columns outside the Exploratorium would be suitable.