[Phys-l] hardening (anharmonic) oscillator

An AJP article describes a rubber-band oscillator whose stiffness varies non linearly.

I've instead (since I have the apparatus) made one using permanent magnets (Vernier low friction cart and track) The plot from the output of a Vernier rotary motion sensor (PASCO linear accessory) is, in the region of anharmonicity, "looks" a saw tooth. In the magnetic far field the force evidently becomes linear, as the appearance becomes sinusoidal. My problem: I want to fit the linear region to a constant ** decay sinusoid to verify the oscillator's harmonicity. I think I'm math challenged here; what's the equation?

And for the saw tooth I need to fit with a Fourier series; again a constant decay. Again what is it. I can look this up and try with various coefficients, etc., but I'm pressed for time and I don't know how to incorporate the signum function in an equation.

I easily convert the apparatus to a harmonic (coil springs) oscillator. I think I'll have no trouble here fitting. The decay is exponential.

** It appears a coulomb type friction is dominant, not a linear with speed, i.e. exponential decay. This is curious, as I thought the increased decay (over the spring oscillator) was due to eddy currents. It may be due to lack of rigidity.

bc not "really" lazy and thinks he's cleaned up his writing.