From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of LaMontagne, Bob [RLAMONT@providence.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:47 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators; Richard Tarara
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] SOLAR , NUCLEAR ENERGY etc.

You say that - but I don't think you would really continue hold that position if you were surrounded by windmills. The power plant is concentrated in one location and it is not moving. Moving windmill blades are very distracting. There is a large windmill on Route 93 south of Boston. Trying to dodge closely packed cars travelling at high speeds becomes a real challenge when these huge blades are in your peripheral vision. I can't imagine sitting on my porch in the evening with these cuisine-art blades swooping through the air everywhere I look. I'll take scrubbers and other clean coal technology at a power plant any time.

Windmills are great - when they're in someone else's neighborhood.

Bob at PC