Re: [Phys-l] Fact Sheet on the Three Mile Island Accident

At 14:21 -0400 04/10/2009, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

One of the problems I've had with spin, from the opposite point of
view, is the tendency of reporters, scientific and otherwise, to
emphasize, for example, a "100% increase in the risk," which to most
people sounds very significant, when in fact the incidence is not
significant at all, to rational observers.

1 in 10,000 vs 2 in 10,000 is a 100% increase in the risk, but most
will consider either to be insignificant, relatively speaking.

I agree with you 100% on this. It drives me up the wall as well. However, it is often true that a small per capita risk can have a significant impact on a large population. Getting in a fatal car accident, on a per passenger mile basis, is almost negligibly small, but we have around 40,000 highway fatalities a year, so the population size is a factor in this calculation. Also, this is a risk that people have clearly accepted (as a polity, if not individually). Similarly with things like x-rays. Very few people get x-rays without their permission or at least the permission of a responsible guardian. Exposure to nuclear fallout or radioactive leakage from a power plant (or from a coal plant) is not voluntary, and the people exposed often have very little to say in whether they will be exposed or not (simply moving away from the potentially affected area is not often an option). So what might be considered a very small risk to an individual could become a significant public health issue if the population impacted is large enough, or if it is concentrated in ways that indicate a clear bias (like hosting toxic waste dumps in minority neighborhoods, or ignoring the difference in effect on different segments of the population--women, children, poor people, etc.).

I'm genuinely curious, not trying to imply that cancer is not a
serious concern, but I am trying to get some perspective... what are
Steve Wing's quantitative predictions? That is, what is his
definition of significant? Or is the use of the word "significant"
yours alone here?

That word is mine. I haven't talked with Steve about that particular issue (In fact I haven't talked to him at all for a couple of years). The point is that he has evidence that the emissions were considerably more than what has been made public, either because the NRC is sitting on the data or because those who were making the measurements didn't do it right, or the pre-placed radiation detectors they relied upon were not in the right places, or some combination of the above. As you note, the actual probability of the cancers was increased by a rather small number (more stuff that I can't get to because it's been packed away until after I move), but when applied to the population at risk around the TMI site, it adds up to a number that gives one pause. We're not talking about an extra thousand people dying, but probably more like around 50, over a span of 30-40 years. It's not a huge number, but it's people who didn't know they were buying into that risk, and probably wouldn't have had they had the option.

Normally, people who die or are injured as a result of the neglect or incompetence of another and which the victim is not complicit in are entitled to some redress. In this case they are being denied access to that redress because they have been denied access to the data that might enable them to seek it. I'm not saying that everyone who dies of cancer within 20 miles of a nuclear power plant, or anyone who dies of cancer who lived under the plume of the fallout from the Nevada atomic tests (which includes to more or less extent every state in the nation, with the possible exception of Hawaii, but is mostly concentrated in a sector radiating away from the site toward, and covering most of New England, and the Northern Midwest--See, "Under the Cloud: The Decades of Nuclear Testing," by Richard L. Miller, Two-Sixty Press, 1991). But, using John Gofman's methodology, it is possible to estimate the probability that any cancer is radiation-induced and, historically, that information has been used in court cases with some success, if the probability is high enough (which, obviously, varies from court to court).

Doing risky things, and sometimes living with known risks is part of being human. There is no such thing as perfect safety, but if we are going to put someone at risk of what is by all assessment a pretty miserable way to die, and not a particularly great way to live, at the very least we owe them the courtesy of getting their informed consent.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org