Re: [Phys-l] standing wave experiment

Since (I believe) the problem here is that PASCO supplies (even sells)
this
string with their wave motion vibrators, one might think this is good
stuff
with which to work. I bit and ordered a reel of the string when we
bought
the vibrators. That reel remains sealed! The big stretchy stuff is
fine
for showing standing waves (demo mode), but I prefer a 20ft long coiled
spring for that. I actually have not seen the reported behavior, but
the
stretching of the string makes the traditional experiment impossible
since
knowing the mass/length of the string becomes a function of the tension
on
the string. Too complicated. We have some 50 lb test fishing line

Actually, if you want your lab to be a little more involved in the art of experimentation; its not that hard to take it into account. We take a sample string and put under the same tension as what you have on the vibrating apparatus, measure its mass and measure its length to get the mass per unit length under the actual tension used. It fairly easy to do and gets across the idea of doing procedures that correct for possible systematic sources of error.