Re: [Phys-l] Energy use (was CFLs)

In a message dated 4/8/2009 7:37:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hhaskell@mindspring.com writes:

We do use too much energy. And reducing our energy consumption by 50%
is not impossible. California manages to do quite nicely using less
than 2/3 of the national per capita average (even less if you figure
the national average without including California). Most of that will
come from the building and housing sector, with less from the
electricity sector and transportation, but the savings are there, we
only need to develop the political and social will to do it. The
5%-25% comparisons merely illustrate how over the top our energy use
is. Ideally, with 5% of the population, we should us 5% of the
energy, and with 20% of the population, China should use 20% of the
energy. Presently they use considerably less. But as their per capita
use increases, ours should decrease. In the process, the total amount
of being used world-wide will increase, hopefully enough to give
everyone a decent life, and not have a small fraction of the world
with more than enough and the rest with not enough to live on.

That is a world I do not want my children and grandchildren to inherit.

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

It's absolutely vital that we reduce our Carbon emission and clearly a big
part of this is reducing our energy consumption. The per capita energy
consumption in the United States is about twice as much as Europe. Studies
show that standard of living is directly correlated with per capita energy use
but standard of living gains level off at the energy consumption rates
reach a certain value. The U.S with about 4 percent of the world's
population used about 24 percent of the total energy production in the world. So we
would need about 6 worlds worth of resources if everyone used as much
energy as Americans do.

Bob Zannelli
**************New Deals on Dell Netbooks – Now starting at $299 (A
HREF=http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220635155x1201407495/aol?redir=http:%2F
%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213771973%3B35379628%3Bw)