Re: [Phys-l] Nuclear Reactors (was: Global Temperatures)

Even tho I follow Gate Keeper, instead of preceding, I can't keep many unused lamps switched off. At the time the only other major users of e. was the refrigerator, and occasional use of the washer and dryer motors. The bedroom TV is switched off at the power strip. We have Nat. Gas for cooking, ambient heating, and clothes drying. Electronic use was three VHSs and a TV total idling I think was ~ 20 W plus the DSL and radioLAN (30 W) . While counting only the more often used lamps total about 1 kW. I averaged about three months each before and after to verify the immediate before and after months. I was (pleasantly) surprised.

A different story now as the five DVD recorders + TV idle* about 40 W. Plus frequent use of our first dish washer, but GK replaced the refrig. w/ the lowest user in its size. I forgot GK's kinescope computer; often on, but "sleeping".

So I gestimate the total power use reduction was only about 20%. Lat month total e. was ~ 1550 kWh, of which ~ 500 was e. so if I were to reduce it by 1/2 the % decrease wiuld be only ~16%. that's the cold winter. Last Summer gas use (July) was ~ five therms or ~ 147 kWh. We need to insulate!

* Even tho set with "slo" on.

bc should check to see if it was in the spring so added daylight was a confusion.

p.s. In checking PowerBook use I found w/ Batt. charged ~ one W consumption when sleeping! The W meter is a d'Arsonval w/ 5 W tics (FS = 400 W) and mirror anti-parallax, and in Salinas 25C is a rare heat wave.