Re: [Phys-l] Nuclear Reactors (was: Global Temperatures)

I've got nothing but CFLs in my home. I've had them ever since the California energy crisis. My experience has been that they do outlast incandescent bu;bs by a very wide margin. Lifetimes have varied depending on the installation and brand, but on average I've gotten about 5X the life of the incandescent bulbs from my CFLs. The cost savings are now a no brainer. You can buy CFLs at many supermarkets in California for 50 cents apiece. That's little more than the cost for an incandescent bulb. The energy savings more than make up the difference.

Mark
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bill Nettles [bnettles@uu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 9:19 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Nuclear Reactors (was: Global Temperatures)

I use CFLs in some places, but I'm very disappointed in their lifetimes...not even close to "7X longer." More like the same life as incandescent. If it weren't for the extreme heat that the incand. in the bathroom give off for the same light, I'd go back. CFL ballasts need some vast improvements, you may save on the electric bill, but you pay $$ for the product.

I hope LEDs perform better.

Bernard Cleyet <bernardcleyet@redshift.com> 4/7/2009 1:19 am >>>
As I've posted, I reduced my electric bill to 1/2 of ... by
replacing ALL the indoor incandescent w/ CFLs. Now COSTCO sells LEDs
for ~ $11. 45 W equivalent incandescent is 5 W. Claimed life is 30
k h.

bc waiting to see if Calif. Gov. will subsidize, as did CFLs.