[Phys-l] Blog Searches

If you reply to this long (7 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

"If I had some copious free time, my next step would be to create a blog index by category (recognizing that some blogs may fit into multiple categories) and make this list available as a web page. Do you have any plans for such a web page, which could then grow as more bloggers start science/physics/education blogs?"

The short answer is "NO, I have no plans to create a blog index by category."

The long answer is:

In APPENDIX A2b Hake (2009a) I discussed "Some Weaknesses of the Blogosphere." One of them is the "difficulty in finding out what we need," due to, e.g.:

a) the vastness of the blogosphere [Petrilli (2009) estimates that there are about 30,000 education-related blogs, so a blog index based on only about the 200 edblogs (0.7%) of Hake (2009a) would probably be of only marginal value],

(b) incompleteness of blog directories (including Hake (2009a)], as discussed in Appendix C6, and

(c) relatively weak search engines - as far as I'm aware current blog search engines allow only keyword searches [or more accurately "keywordS searches" since searches for multiple keywords are possible and often productive - see e.g., Hake (2009b)].

Compare the ADLsphere's LISTSERV engines [allowing searches within LISTSERV discussion lists (such as PHYSHARE, PHYSLRNR, PHYSOC, & POD) by keywords, author, subject title, date, or any combination of those] with the keywords search engines of, e.g,:

(1) International Directory of Edubloggers (IDE)
<http://edubloggerdir.blogspot.com/2008/01/search.html>,

(2) Technorati <http://technorati.com/search?advanced>,

(3) Blooged <http://www.blogged.com/>,

(4) Google Blog Search <http://blogsearch.google.com/>,

and now

(5) Browser "Find" search engine for Hake (2009a) at <http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/Over200EdSciBlogsU.pdf>.

As an example of the use of search engines "1" and "4" above, see my post "Re: Benezet - Pros and Cons" [Hake (2009b)]. ****************************************

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>

REFERENCES [Tiny URL's courtesy <http://tinyurl.com/create.php>.]
Hake, R.R. 2009a. "Over Two-Hundred Education & Science Blogs," 30 March; online at <http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/Over200EdSciBlogsU.pdf> (2.6 MB). The abstract is at
<http://hakesedstuff.blogspot.com/2009/03/over-two-hundred-education-science.html> with a provision for comments.

Hake, R.R. 2009b. "Re: Benezet - Pros and Cons," online on the OPEN! Math-Teach archives at <http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=6667850&tstart=0>. Post of 5 Apr 2009 15:07:15-0700 to Math-Learn, Math-Teach, and PhysLrnR.

Petrilli, M.J. 2009. "Linky Love, Snark Attacks, and Fierce Debates about Teacher Quality? "A
peek inside the education blogosphere," Education Next 9(1), Winter; online at
<http://www.hoover.org/publications/ednext/34687864.html>. Petrilli wrote:
"Blogs represent the 'long end of the tail' of the media; a new form of mass communication this is not. And at the far end of that long tail sits the education blogosphere, a niche within a niche, WITH AS MANY AS 30,000 BLOGS." Petrilli does not indicate how he derived his estimate of 30,000 EdBlogs but it's possible that he used Technorati's Advanced Search <http://technorati.com/search?advanced> to search *in all blogs* (not posts *within* blogs) for:
"Education." As indicated in Appendix C2, that search netted 28,842 hits on 26 February 2009.

Podrey, F. 2009. "Re: Over Two-Hundred Education & Science Blogs" PHYSHARE post of 31 Mar 2009 12:36:15 EDT; online at <http://tinyurl.com/ckmnlv>. To access the archives of PHYSHARE one needs to subscribe, but that takes only a few minutes clicking on <http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=PHYSHARE> and then clicking on "Join or leave the list (or change settings)." If you're busy, then subscribe using the "NOMAIL" option under "Miscellaneous." Then, as a subscriber, you may access the archives and/or post messages at any time, while receiving NO MAIL from the list!