From: Joseph Bellina <jbellina@saintmarys.edu>
To: PHYS-L Maillist <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:16:31 PM
Subject: [Phys-l] Inductive cooking

I just bought unit that heats cooking pots by induction. I assumed
that it would work with any pan that conducts, since I assumed it
worked by generating eddy currents in the pots. Surprisingly, the
literature says it only works with pots that are magnetic, and even
provides a little magnet so you can check. They make a point of
saying that Al pots will not work and that only some stainless pots
will work. I know some stainlesses are magnetic and some are not.

I haven't tried using a non-magnetic pot to test the claim yet, but
wondered if anyone had a good idea about this.

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College