Re: [Phys-l] frequency and wavelength of sound in air

John Denker wrote:
There is a wide class of audio systems that can be modeled as "excitation plus filter". This class includes the human voice, reed instruments, bowed string instruments, and a few other things.
[later you observed...]
you could play a violin in a room
full of helium and it would not be appreciably out of tune.
In an interesting post, this contradiction of an earlier point was disappointing
and leads one into considering the semantic niceties of saying "out of tune":
what does 'out of tune' mean?

In human voice production, a helium inspiration does not set the vocal chords out of tune, either. But we are entranced by the transposition of familar voices into a higher octave.
Similarly (though I have not tried this myself) I expect that a violin filled with helium might strongly accentuate the higher frequencies present in the spectrum excited by the bowed string.

Brian W