Re: [Phys-l] global temperatures

We need to keep the questions clear here. The polar melting (and there has been some controversy on that lately as well), and the permafrost thawing are clear signs that the global temperature is up (but not as high as it has been before--geological time scales, not human). That is not the question here. The question really is how the models, and we really ARE still talking models on which decisions are now seriously being based, deal with the last 10 years when the global temperature has not increased. We have been told that this is not contrary to the models, but is that enough? CO-2 is still increasing, so if that is the dominant culprit for the current high temperatures, what is compensating to hold the temps for a decade? Is it natural, is it just statistical fluctuation, is it artificial (I earlier wondered out loud about the aerosol effect). What I also noted--with no comment to date--is that the RATE of global temperature increase during the 80s and 90s matches the RATE of increase very early in the 20th Century. Is that covered in the models?

None of these questions should be taken as nay-saying or blind skepticism, rather (I think) legitimate questions about the MODELS which we are (forced) to use for future planning. All data, including a decade long pause in temperature increases, are tests for these models. How well do they accommodate such data?

----- Original Message ----- From: "chuck britton" <cvbritton@embarqmail.com>

I guess I AM a bit of a skeptic and it seems to me that polar melting
and permafrost thawing is an exTREMEly reliable indicator of long
term trends.

Both of these indicators show warming beyond any previous period
known to humankind.

Datasets come and go - but the earth is forever.