Re: [Phys-l] "Overqualified" teachers (Was: Physics First Revisited

On Jan 31, 2009, at 9:46 AM, Paul Lulai wrote:
I've been teaching hs physics for 13 years. I've heard people talk
about a teacher with a graduate degree being rejected because of the
cost. This does happen on occasion. Do not generalize this to all of
public education. This past summer we had many applicants for two
positions- biology and chemistry. We hired the one chemistry person
with a masters in bio-Chem and the one bio person that was a

Also this is more likely to happen to Elem Educ teachers than secondary school teachers -- e.g. there is a glut of K-8 teachers in the US NE, and there's not a shortage of Bio Teachers. There is a pronounced shortage of Math, Special Ed, Physics and Chem teachers so it's harder (or suicidal in some cases) for LEAs to play those games in those subject areas.

C.f.
http://www.aaee.org/pdf/2006execsummary.pdf
which describes recent teacher supply and demand by US geographical region and discipline / level taught.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>
Physics Graduate Coordinator & Dept Chair Pro Tem