[Phys-l] Energy divided by power can be a residence time

Residence time is not just for molecules.

Energy flowing through a vehicle resides for a time as kinetic energy in its mass. This residence time can be calculated easily. It turns out that the average residence time of an infinitesimal fuel energy element in the driver of an automobile at constant highway speed is about 400 ms. As explained in my Knol, this time is also a measure of vehicle performance that is proportional to deviation from the Gabrielli-von Karman limit line.
http://knol.google.com/k/speed-costs-power#

Although there is much discussion about modeling power as a flow, I have not found references to this idea in the literature. Has anyone seen this before?

Best Wishes,

Jeff Radtke, Supersaturated Environments
http://www.cloudchambers.com