Re: [Phys-l] possible projectile lab

I teach in high school, and I'm all low-tech. So the kids measure a
horizontal section (20 - 30 cm) with a meter stick. Then they use a
stopwatch to time the marble. Of course, the times are very short and the
main source of error in this experiment. However, students generally get
the marble to land in the can. They can clearly see that the physics
works! If not, it's usually a timing error. No big deal.

The marble sometimes moves to either side of the track, but you can easily
move the can perpendicular to the predicted distance got better accuracy.

Physics rules!!!!

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
Anthony,

Do you use photogates to measure the velocity or do you use meterstick
and stopwatch?

What do you do if it travels the correct distance, but went too far to
the side?

Thanks,
Dwight