Re: [Phys-l] Student engagement--GAIN

Not to drag this discussion on and on, but one of my favorite conceptual
"thinking" questions comes from Hewitt's book (maybe others, too). It's
the one with three balls/boxes at the top of thee frictionless hills. One
has a constant slope, one is concave, and the other convex shape. All
objects are released from rest from the same initial height without
friction.

For motion topic: Which ball gets to the bottom first and why?

Later, for energy topic: Which ball has the fastest speed at the bottom
and why?

It's really a great question because it illustrates that velocity and
acceleration are different. Few students, even my "bright" ones in honors,
every get this correct the first time around.

Physics is HOT -- Higher Order Thinking!

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
Will have to comment here--as I couldn't disagree more--at least for
College
level courses (so we may be talking past each other).

All I want incoming student to have is a basic understanding of the
_concepts_ of velocity and acceleration--so do that with whatever works,
but
if you can't think ALGEBRAICALLY and work with the d,v,a,t equations in a
College Level, problem solving, physics course--you have no business in
that
course--or in any field that requires such a course.

It may be my background as a nuclear physicist and working for years with
low-energy (below 16 MeV) particle collisions, but momentum is most
useful
as a tool for dealing with collisions, and especially nuclear level
collisions. For that I want KE before momentum. Not interested in
coming
back to collisions later--despise the 52 chapter books now being
published!

Rick ;-)