[Phys-l] radius of curvature of elliptical orbit

While working a problem in French's book today, I stumbled across a simple result that I wasn't familiar with: The radius of curvature at perihelion (or aphelion) is equal to the semi-latus rectum. (Recall that the semi-latus rectum is the distance from a focus to the orbit along a line parallel to the minor axis.)

It's pretty easy to verify this result and it might amuse you the next time you're waiting in line.

If you're curious about the problem I was looking at (derive Kepler's third law and the energy equation using algebra alone for an elliptical orbit), see:

http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Scholarship/EllipticalOrbits.pdf

--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363