Re: [Phys-l] format for lab reports

I was too brief. They certainly do calculations - like finding the value of g in a free-fall experiment, initial speed of a ball in the ballistic pendulum, etc. They basically find all the quantities from the usual spectrum of general physics labs. And they also prepare lots of graphs and use the slopes and intercepts to find various parameters. But yes, it is in a fill in the blank format. Each question asked to guide them through the lab has a space for a response, every data analysis has a table to be filled in. The students do most of the things that would be done in a traditional "lab report", except that it is done in a "workbook" style instead of the standard structure. The grade is based on the quality of the analysis. A good analysis as to why a lab failed is considered to be better than a rote but clueless comment about a correct numerical outcome.

Our labs have been derided by faculty in other departments as "cookbook". However, we find that the labs force the students to think about the physics instead of struggling to fit what they have done into the inflexible format of a "report". Perhaps I could send you one so you can see the format. We are a small department and the format we use works well with the mix of faculty we have at the moment. It may not work that well for others.

Bob at PC
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Wes Davis [wlrdavis@earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 7:56 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] format for lab reports

I'm not sure I understand the process here. Please excuse my ignorance.

As I understand it, your lab hand-outs have spaces to fill in the data. The
lab
hand-outs are then returned with data filled in the spaces. Then the
students answer questions that have no right or wrong answers. Then the lab
write-ups are graded. Right?

Does that mean the students don't do calculations with the data?
On what basis is the lab report graded?

Just wondering,
Wes