From: ludwik kowalski <kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2008 7:36:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Using LaTeX to make .pdf documents with accessible images

On Aug 22, 2008, at 8:29 PM, ludwik kowalski wrote:

On Aug 22, 2008, at 6:54 PM, Alex Small wrote:

I know this isn't a LaTeX list, but with this many physicists there
must be somebody who is a LaTeX expert.

I'm trying to comply with accessibility requirements on my campus,
and the first step is to figure out how to add alt tags to an image
in a .pdf that I created from LaTeX. (I'll worry about equations
next, right now it's one step at a time.) I don't see an option for
this in the \includegraphics command. I know that LaTeX2html can
create accessible html documents with alt tags on the images, but
what if I want to create a .pdf rather than an html document? I did
a lot of Googling, and I checked Lamport's book, and I found nothing.

I learned some LaTex last year but I forgot most of it. Here a segment
from my source code (a file with the extension tex) that worked with
the compiler I downloaded. The file {bear.jpg} specified in the third
line, had to be in the same folder as the source file.

\begin{figure}

\centering
\includegraphics[width=6cm]{bear.jpg}
\caption{This polar bear was photographed in Alaska}
\label{fig:fig1}

\end{figure}

I forgot to mention a problem I encountered. I was writing a book and
had difficulties in placing figures on desired pages. Sometimes, to
accomplish this, I had to reduce sizes of pictures, for example to
width=4cm.

Another problem occurred when the pdf file was sent to the publisher.
They said that there were something unusual with the pdf file created
by my LaTex compiler. The book was published this month, after I
sent them the manuscript in the MSWORD format. Learning how to use
LaTex was not easy for me.

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher
5 Horizon Road, Apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/