Re: [Phys-l] Turning effects of a moving bike

On 08/19/2008 08:35 AM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

The point of contact between tire and road is NOT an inertial origin.
Torques relative to this accelerating origin are not equal to the time rate
of change of system angular momentum.

That's all true, and it's good advice in general ... but I don't see
how it answers the question.

The way I read the question, it asked why using the center of mass
was /different/ from using the contact point as the datum. I don't
see how mentioning "non inertial" explains the /difference/. Neither
the CM nor the contact point is inertial.