Re: [Phys-l] flashlight : no battery, no bulb

For an old thread, because of time to recover!

I read JD's announcement while in Sue City went immediately to the nearest Walgreens and purchased two; one worked the other didn't. Taking advantage of bargaining learned in Kenya the NO one was half price. A deal for a coil wire ~ 0.0055" and 220 Ohms. The magnet is quite strong. Much stronger than the typical refrigerator magnet. The circuit board has a full wave rectifier and a ~ 0.15 Ohm resistor in series w/ the LED. The batt. is labeled Ni-MH 3.6 V, 40 mAh 14 h, and 14h 4mA, the latter a useful rating missing from all the secondary cells I've previously seen. And doesn't hold a charge.

bc thanks JD! and imagines oodles of student expts. w/ them

p.s. when I got to Ohio I purchased four more half of which worked. I switched one on about two hours ago and it's still going strong". When "dead", I'll find how much shaking for how long. If I were paid, I'd use my printer's shaker for a std. shaking. Curiously the output, no load, is, w/ rather vigorous shaking, ten and ~five volts. The asymmetry due, I presume, from the asymmetrically placed coil.