From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of John Clement
Sent: Fri 8/1/2008 11:05 AM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] God as an explanation (WAS: Darwinism underattack?andthephysicsclassroom)

Easy to swallow? Not in an introductory course, which is where I assume the
God as an explanation is likely to occur. And of course one can always push
the explanation back to God ordained symmetry, and build our brain to make
it obvious. So one comes back to the answer depends on the question.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

But momentum conservation is a Noether Current associated with spatial
translation invariance. Spatial translation invariance is a very
intuitive, natural and easy to swallow axiom. There's really nothing
strange or mystical about momentum conversation, it's simply a reflection
of symmetry.

David Whitbeck