From: Ian Ellis <ian@IGLOU.COM>
Date: 2008, July 24, 13:13:53 PDT
To: PHYSHARE@LISTS.PSU.EDU
Subject: Re: [PHYSHARE] Darwinism under attack? plus some relevant Darwin quotes

Another way that Darwin is under attack: In Dec 2007, a Texas state advisory group gave the Institute for Creation Research preliminary approval to offer an online master's degree in science education. The Dallas creationist group proposal is intended to allegedly train science teachers.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/ 012408dnmetcreation.2bd704c.html
http://www.texscience.org/reviews/icr-thecb-certification.htm

By June 2008, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board in April rejected the request, saying the program did not meet state academic standards. The institute has petitioned the board to reverse its decision, saying the board discriminated against the institute for its views on evolution. If the petition is denied, the institute could take its case to court.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/ stories/DN-briefs_04tex.ART.State.Edition1.45fa835.html
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2008/07/ creationists_claiming_viewpoin.php

Comments from the blog immediately above:
"Who can believe in Intelligent Design after seeing the Texas Legislature?"
"...only if I can give out state recognized degrees on leprechaun sociology and unicorn anatomy."

Meanwhile, Darwin himself had a position on false views:
"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often long endure; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, as every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness; and when this is done, one path towards error is closed and the road to truth is often at the same time opened." —/The Descent of Man/ (1871), Vol. 2, 385.

"Great is the power of steady misrepresentation - but the history of science shows how, fortunately, this power does not endure long."— /Origin of Species/ (1878), 421.

I wonder how the good man would respond to the continuing clamour more than a century later.

But, while quoting Darwin, here is his thought on the place of his name in history:
"My books have sold largely in England, have been translated into many languages, and passed through several editions in foreign countries. I have heard it said that the success of a work abroad is the best test of its enduring value. I doubt whether this is at all trustworthy; but judged by this standard my name ought to last for a few years." —/The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin/ (1896), 81-82.

Other interesting Darwin and related quotes are collected on my webpage
http://www.todayinsci.com/D/Darwin_Charles/DarwinCharles- Quotations.htm

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
"... The Altenberg Conference the 'Woodstock' of evolution science that 'promises to be far more transforming for the world' ..."

-----
* Physhare FAQ/Homepage: <http://geocities.com/physhare>