[Phys-l] Academic Familiarity Breeds Discomfort? (was Physics job...)

At 09:13 AM 7/23/2008, rtaylor, you wrote:

>It is research which shows that student attitudes towards science become
>poorer with each science course taken.

I just can't figure out what the surprise is here.
After every history class I took I disliked history more.
The interesting question would be to compare the effect in science
with other disciplines.

Do kids like math more and more as they take more math courses? I don't think so.
Art? I notice that all kids like to color, but when they find out that they
have to stay within the lines, some start to find other interests.

/and so on.../

This felt uncomfortably like the cold hard slap across the face
of reality. I comfort myself with the personal insight that
there ARE topics, for which enthusiasm increases, as one
gets into them....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!