Re: [Phys-l] Old News That Stays News

Hi all-
It's important to check and make sure that they're really doing what they claim to be doing. Concepts first? Right on! Straight out of Arons.
BUT, what they're really doing is teaching vocabulary - not concepts. Arons said it right. Concept BEFORE name.

We can easily grasp, from examples, that 5x39 is the same as 39'x5, We've added nothing to the kid's math proficiency by teaching her the word
"commutativity". That was the problem with the new math of the '60's (when I made my kids do old math in workbooks). Names like "set", "union", "intersection", were taught in a context when the kids are not going to be applying set theory. This was the math education of the parents who are presently unable to assist their kids with today's homework.

The discussion of cool ways to calculate 5x88 misses the point, I think, because it is really emphasising that there are clever ways to handle special cases. I believe that a sense of numeracy comes from understanding methods that are applicable to every case. A good sense of such methods is also helpful when learning to manipulate algebraic symbols - but that is another rant.
Regards,
Jack