Re: [Phys-l] De-chording polyphonic music with software.

At 11:12 AM 7/18/2008, you wrote:
Suppose you record from a single microphone, onto a single track, a
polyphony of music from several instruments. Here is software which will
disect the resulting single sound track into its "component pieces" and
allow you to manipulate the individual pieces. You could, e.g., change a
single note within a chord, even though your original recording gives you
only the single track waveform of the composite chord; you could
individually manipulate the sound from each guitar string given only the
composite chord waveform, etc. (You can tune your guitar in
post-processing!) The results appear to be quite striking . . . limitations
are to be expected. Take a listen.

For a demo go to this URL and click on the play button of the video shown in
center screen:

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
trebor@winbeam.com
http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/

Hmmm...I've noticed one or two applications that can (apparently)
translate a wav file to a multitonal midi file - with limitations.
I suspect Bob's reference is better in several ways.

Reminds me that current post processing of commercial sound
recordings fixes the pitch of vocals etc., though it is detectable
when used excessively, or when used for effect.

I have recently been auditing some potted webinars from MathWorks
on the extended toolboxes available in MatLab 2007 for
comms/audio filtering, image filtering, financial time series
filtering and processing etc.
They will send a CD on application.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!