From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Craig David
Sent: 18 July 2008 07:50
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: [Phys-l] Mythbusters

Ya'll are welcome to get all hoity-toity about Mythbusters if you
want[*], but I've found that if I ask my calculus-physics classes if
they watch Mythbusters and other Discovery channel-type shows,
normally 2/3 of the class or so will raise their hands. The
percentage goes up noticeably when I ask the same question of the
first course beyond the introductory that all majors and minors take.

I think Mythbusters teaches good science on the most basic of levels,
as has already been pointed out: you learn to attach credence to
claims which have been _tested_.

David Craig

[*] Just teasin' people, so don't go gittin' yerself in a huff.

<http://web.lemoyne.edu/~craigda/>