[Phys-l] cracked bells

http://www.azom.com/Details.asp?ArticleID=2148

The page above claims w/ o theory that dinging a bell results in ringing; harder, louder, but if cracked, if dinged very lightly, will ring; harder and pitch lowers and the ring is more a thud.

Static and dynamic friction immediately suggest the reason. I thought some day to try it; strobe maybe, etc. And then I accidentally cracked a beer (tall) glass and tried it. Wow it's true, tho couldn't control the dinging to get the ring w/ pitch change. Then taking the advice of several clocks group posters I glued the crack w/ cyanoacrylic. Back to normal! Later I tried "really" dinging it; thud. Yup the glue joint was broken; a re-glue worked.

bc, kitchen physicist.

p.s. we have some squeaky chairs; searching for glue at the local iron mongers we found "Tite Chairs". "Instant loose Chair Repair" 20 gm for $10, IIRC. such a deal and includes capillary dispenser. Was what I used on the glass.