Re: [Phys-l] CA mandates 8th grade algebra test

A brief introduction from a first time submitter: My name is Teresa and I just graduated with my BS in Physics. I will begin teaching high school biology, chemistry, & physics this fall.

I have been following the "CA mandates 8th grade algebra test" discussion with interest. I have a few questions. First, could you provide the link to the original article please? That may answer my second, main question which is, "What are the consequences of this test?" Do students who do not pass the test not progress to high school? Is it directly tied to NCLB? My schooling was in IL so I am not 100% familiar with CA testing but aren't students entering high school either given math placement tests or placed based on the recommendations of their 8th grade teachers?
Thanks guys.

-Teresa

It’s a talkathon – but it’s not just talk.
http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_JustTalk